Fall Foliage Driving Tours
Click on the tabs above to choose the Short or Extended Tours.
1. Start at the Garrett County Visitors Center at 15 Visitors Center Drive, McHenry, MD 21541.
2. Turn left onto Garrett Highway (US-219, North) (Side stop, In approximately 2.0 miles, you will reach the first Barn Quilt, #3 Delectable Mountains owned by Greg Hinebaugh. The barn quilt will be on the left.)
3. Take a sharp left turn to continue on Sang Run Road. (Side stop, continue just a short distance on beyond the turnoff and stop at to see the #9 Sallie’s T Barn Quilt owned by Reed Rodeheaver off Bishoff Road. The barn quilt will be on the left.
4. Turn left onto Sang Run Rd and travel approximately 2.0 miles (Side stop, the Barn Quilt - #20 Original Applique, Native American Camp Design owned by Frank France will be on the right - you may pull into the drive at the gate when stopping to take pictures. Please do not open the gate and beware the sharp barbed wire fence.)
5. Continue approximately 0.25 mile and the Friend’s Store will be on the right. There is also a barn Quilt on the Friend’s Store - #18 Flying Geese owned by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Historically, the Friend family proprietor sold food staples in the tiny store and also bought, sold and traded ginseng for the local residents. Although no longer open to the public, it is a great stop to view this historic building.
6. Head west on Sang Run Rd for 4 miles.
7. Turn left onto Cranesville Rd, travel 2.55 miles.
8. Turn right onto Lake Ford Rd, Entering West Virginia for 0.1 mile.
9. Continue onto Burnside Camp for 0.2 mile.
10. Continue straight onto Feather Rd for 0.1 mile.
11. Turn right onto Cranesville Swamp, destination will be on the left.
12. The Cranesville Swamp is located in a frost pocket, an area where the surrounding hills capture moisture and cold air that conspire to create a landscape more reminiscent of habitat found much further north in Canada. There are several trails and opportunities for glimpses of more than 50 rare plants and a variety of animals.
13. Head west on Cranesville Swamp toward Feather Rd
14. Turn left onto Feather Rd for 0.1 mile.
15. Continue onto Burnside Camp, entering Maryland for 0.2 mile.
16. Continue onto Lake Ford Rd for 0.1 mile.
17. Turn right onto Cranesville Rd and travel 4.2 miles.
18. Turn left onto Swallow Falls Rd and travel 1.3 miles.
19. Turn left onto Maple Glade Rd, entering Swallow Falls State Park, 222 Herrington Lane, Oakland, MD 21550
20. Swallow Falls State Park is home to several waterfalls including Maryland’s highest free-falling waterfall, Muddy Creek Falls, Swallow Falls and Tolliver Falls. Beautiful hiking and photo opportunities abound in this park.
21. Exit park by turning left onto Swallow Falls Rd, traveling 1.3 miles.
22. Turn left onto Oakland Sang Run Rd and travel 0.3 mile.
23. Make a slight left to stay on Oakland Sang Run Rd, traveling 1.2 miles.
24. Turn right onto Shingle Camp Rd and then turn left onto Fork Run. The Fork Run trail system features fantastic hiking and mountain biking opportunities. Try our free Heritage App on your mobile device to download the Fork Run Historic Recreation Hiking Tour.
25. Head southeast on Fork Run toward Shingle Camp Rd and then turn right onto Shingle Camp Rd.
26. Turn right onto Oakland Sang Run Rd and travel 0.8 mile.
27. Turn right onto Hoyes Run Rd and travel 3.3 miles.
28. Turn right onto Sang Run Rd and travel 0.5 mile.
29. Turn right onto Garrett Highway (Rt. 219 South)
30. Turn right onto Visitors Center Dr, the Visitors Center will be on the left.
Extended Trip is appx. 62 Miles and 1 hour and 45 minutes
- Head NW on Visitor Center Dr. Turn RIGHT to stay on Visitor Center Dr.
- Turn RIGHT on US Rte. 219 (13.1 miles)
- Turn RIGHT on to East Oak St.
- Turn RIGHT on to S 1st St.
103 Town Park Ln - Oakland Town Trail
- Head SW on S 1st St. toward E Oak St.
- Turn RIGHT at the first cross street on to MD-39W/E Oak St. continue to follow MD-39 W (1.14 miles)
- Turn LEFT onto Old Crellin Rd (2.79 miles)
- Make a slight right on to Underwood Rd. (.719 miles)
- Turn left onto Mansfield Rd (2.07 miles)
- Turn right onto US-219 S entering West Virginia Destination will be on the left (9.05 miles)
3086 Seneca Trail, Eglon, WV 26716 - MD Highest Point
- Head north on US-219 N toward Smallest Church Rd Entering Maryland (9.48 miles)
- Turn RIGHT onto Mason School Rd
4251 Mason School Rd, Oakland, MD 21550 – AME Church
- Head southeast on Mason School Rd toward Pleasant Valley Rd
- Turn LEFT onto Pleasant Valley Rd
- Turn LEFT to stay on Pleasant Valley Rd
- Turn RIGHT onto Lynndale Rd (2.04 miles)
- Continue onto Smouse Rd (2.24 miles) Continue onto Roanoke Ave
- Turn LEFT onto Tallasee St
- Turn RIGHT onto Bonnie Blvd
300 W 2nd Ave, Loch Lynn Heights, MD 21550 – Lock Lynn Trail
- Head northeast on Bonnie Blvd toward Tuscawalla St
- Slight RIGHT onto W Third Ave
- Turn LEFT onto MD-560 N/Paull St Continue to follow MD-560 N
- Turn RIGHT onto MD-135 E
- Turn LEFT onto Glass Dr
265 Glass Dr, Oakland, MD 21550 – Simon Pearce
- Head southeast on Glass Dr
- Turn LEFT onto MD-135 E (1.83 miles)
- Turn LEFT onto Broadford Rd (1.22 miles)
- Turn RIGHT onto Kings Run Rd (1.82 miles)
- Turn RIGHT onto US-219 N (9.54 miles)
- Turn LEFT onto Visitors Center Dr
- Turn LEFT to stay on Visitors Center Dr
5 Vacation Way, McHenry, MD 21541 – Visitors Center