Heritage Area At a Glance
Join us while we explore and experience Garrett Heritage the fun and interactive way. Garrett County's rich history in transportation, recreation, culture and natural wonders make for exciting adventures and fun filled days. On our website you can take virtual tours of many of our historic sites, listen to the stories told by the people at these sites and learn all about each one of them. From our historic train station in Oakland and the history of the B&O train company to the history of Deep Creek Lake and all of the outdoor activities it has brought to this area. There is no lack of history here and we look forward to sharing it with you and your family. Begin your journey on this site and explore sites, learn about them and plan your trip to visit these sites in person. Tag @garrettheritage in your photos at our heritage sites to be entered into a drawing to win two mountain coaster rides. Take advantage of our resources provided here for kid friendly heritage fun, and trails as well as some fun facts, jokes and more. Explore and Experience all Garrett County has to offer!
On The Go?
Grab our Kids Club brochure at the Visitors Center in McHenry or at many of the heritage locations along your travels. Use this brochure as a quick reference tool to locate many of our recommended spots, our kids friendly trails and much more!
Scavenger Hunt GC Style
Who in your family can get this list completed first?
- Horse and Buggy Crossing Sign
- A Barn Quilt
- Train Tracks
- A Wildlife Crossing Sign
- American Flag
- Maryland Flag
- Antiques Sign
- Black Eyed Susan
- A Sail Boat
- Chainsaw Art
- Jar of Apple Butter
- A Jar of GC Made Jam
- GC Maple Syrup
- Taxidermy Animal
- Antler Chandelier
- Black Bear Mug
Kid Friendly Trails
Visit: garretttrails.org for a complete list of GC trails
Perfect for the Whole Family
- Casselman River State Park
- Meshach Browning Trails
- Friendsville Interactive Walking Tour
- Sang Run State Park
- Visitor's Center Trail
- Cranesville Swamp Trail
- DCSP Cherry Creek Loop
2+ Miles for the older kiddos
- Fork Run
- Monroe Run
- Herrington Manor
- Swallow Falls
- Senator Paul Sarbanes Trail
Fun Facts about Us
- Garrett County is the highest point in MD
- Deep Creek Lake was built by the Youghiogheny Hydroelectric Co.
- Muddy Creek Falls is the Tallest free falling waterfall in MD
- Garrett County has over 100,000 acres of public lands
- Wisp Resort is the only downhill ski resort in MD
- Garrett County has the most state parks in MD (8)
- Garrett County is home to world class whitewater
- George Washington Marched through Grantsville
- President James Polk stayed in Grantsville
- Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Harvey Firestone and Einstein all visited Garrett County
- Lewis and Clark traveled through Garrett County
Just Joking Around
Share these jokes with family and friends
- Where was the declaration of independence signed? At the bottom!
- Did you hear the joke about the Liberty Bell? It cracked me up.
- Who was the biggest prankster in George Washington's army? Laugh-ayette!
- If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring? The Pilgrims!
- Why did the Pilgrims sail to America? It was too far to swim!
- What does the Statue of Liberty stand for? Because it can't sit down!
- Why aren't you doing well in history class at school? Because the history teacher keeps on asking me about things that happened years before I was born!
- Why does history keep repeating itself? Because we were not listening the first time round!
- Why did Christopher Columbus cross the ocean? To get to the other tide!
Must Stops On Your Journey
Oakland / Swanton / Deep Creek Area
- B&O Train Station and Museum - 117 E Liberty St Oakland
- Transportation Museum - 107 S 2nd St Oakland
- Garrett County Historical Society - Liberty St Oakland
- Candyland at the Farmers Market - 12679 Garrett Hwy Oakland
- Discovery Center at Deep Creek Lake State Park - 898 State Park Rd Swanton
- DCSP Brant Mines - 898 State Park Rd Swanton
- Staffitickers Ice Cream Stand - 7084 Garrett Hwy Oakland
- Ride the Mountain Coaster (Wisp Resort) - 296 Marsh Hill Road
- Horseback Riding (Circle R Ranch) - 4151 Sand Flat Rd.
Grantsville / Friendsville / Accident Area
- Spruce Forest Artisans Village - 177 Casselman Rd Grantsville
- Candyland at Hilltop Fruit Market - 12579 National Pike Grantsville
- High Country Creamery - 97 Locker Lane Grantsville
- Visit a working Farm for a tour - 596 Griffith Rd Accident (Cove Run Farms)
- Drane House Frontier Home - Old Cemetery Rd Accident
- Lavender Farm - 625 Doerr Rd Accident
- Sit along the Youghiogheny River and watch the Kayakers and Rafters - Exit 4 off of I68
Click the link above for an interactive map and list of working farms
- Alpaca Acres
- Backbone Food Farm
- Branch Bender Cidery
- Circle R Ranch
- Cove Run Farms & Corn Maze
- Crimson Shamrock Alpacas
- Deep Creek Cellars
- Deep Creek Lavender Farm
- Firefly Farms Creamery and Market
- Footprints Farm
- Grandma's Farm
- High Country Creamery and Market
- Jefferies Farm and Flower
- Klotz Corn and Pumpkin Stand
- Miner Hickory Horseback Riding
- Possum Tail Farm
- Walnut Ridge Farm
- Western Trails Farm
- Wildom Farms
- Yorkie Acres Farm