Tours & Itineraries
Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West Heritage Area includes numerous sites and attractions, wonderful picnic spots, charming restaurants and shops, a variety of landscapes, and a generous hospitality. To help you plan your visit to the Heritage Area, use our suggested travel itineraries as a guide. More itineraries will be posted continually, so check back often!
On the NEW Friendsville Interactive History Walking Tour tour you will discover 18 sign markers that explore many of the colorful characters, events and places that helped shape the town. You will learn about the early Native American history, the history of the railroad, logging, mining, and the schools, businesses and people that thrived and made their mark here. In addition, the tour has a connected “living history” website where you can hear the stories of the town and people and what life was like in days
2017 Fall Foliage Tours
2017 Fall Foliage Heritage Short Tour Driving Directions
- Start at the Garrett County Visitors Center at 15 Visitors Center Drive, McHenry, MD 21541.
- Head south on US-219 South
- Turn right into the McHenry Plaza. Ledo Pizza will be on your right.
- Head to the rear of the plaza and turn right onto Deep Creek Dr.
- Turn left onto Sang Run Rd
- Turn left to stay on Sang Run Rd.
- Turn left to stay on Sang Run Rd.
- You will travel by a local barn quilt, #20 Original Applique, Native American Camp Design.
- You will travel by the Friend's Store, run by the Deep Creek Lake State Park. Here, you can also find a local barn quilt, #18 Flying Geese.
- Head west on Sang Run Rd toward Lizzie Hoye Ln
- Turn right onto White Rock Rd
- Turn right onto Blooming Rose Rd
- Turn right to stay on Blooming Rose Rd
- Turn right onto MD-42 S/Friendsville Rd
- As you turn onto Friendsville Road, a local barn quilt will be in front of you, #28 Morning Glory.
- Turn left onto 1st Ave
- Head north on 1st Ave toward Maple St
- Turn right at the 1st cross street onto Maple St
- Friendsville Stop - instead of turning right onto Maple, turn left and travel across the bridge, to the new parking area on your left. A kiosk will guide you to the new Friendsville Interactive History Tour.
- Turn left onto 2nd Ave
- Continue onto Friendsville Addison Rd
- Along Friendsville Addison Road, you will travel past a local barn quilt, #19 Double Wedding Ring.
- Turn left onto Mill Run Rd
- Visit the Mercy Chapel at Mill Run, a historic octagonal church.
- Head southeast on Mill Run Rd toward Chet Kelly Rd
- Turn right onto Friendsville Addison Rd
- Slight left to stay on Friendsville Addison Rd
- Continue onto 2nd Ave
- Turn right onto Walnut St
- Walnut St turns left and becomes Morris Ave
- Turn left onto Chestnut St
- Turn right onto 1st Ave
- Turn left onto MD-42 S/Friendsville Rd
- Slight right onto MD-42 S
- Slight right onto US-219 S
- Turn right onto Visitors Center Dr
- Turn left to stay on Visitors Center Dr
- Return to the Garrett County Visitors Center parking area on your left.
2017 Fall Foliage Heritage Extended Tour Driving Directions
- Start at the Garrett County Visitors Center at 15 Visitors Center Drive, McHenry, MD 21541
- Turn right on Visitors Center Dr
- Turn right onto US-219 S
- Turn left onto Glendale Rd
- Turn right onto N Glade Rd
- Continue onto Mellinger Rd
- Turn left onto Spring Lick Rd
- Continue onto Savage River Rd
- Explore the Savage River Reservoir, great for kayaking
- Head southeast on Savage River Rd
- At the end of Savage River Rd you will find yourself in the town of Bloomington. Over the North Branch of the Potomac River you will see the B&O Railroad Viaduct constructed in 1851.
- Turn right onto MD-135 W
- Turn left onto MD-38 S
- Turn right onto W Main St
- 236 W Main St, Kitzmiller, MD 21538, USA
- Head southwest on W Main St toward 2nd St
- 293 W Main St, Kitzmiller, MD 21538, USA
- Head west on W Main St
- Continue onto Shallmar Rd
- Near the school you will find the Melvin Brown Arboretum
- Turn right onto N Hill Rd
- Turn right onto Upperman Rd
- Turn left onto Eagle Rock Rd
- Continue onto Bethlehem Rd
- Turn right onto MD-560 N
- Turn right onto Paul St
- Continue onto Gorman St
- Turn left onto MD-135 W
- Continue onto E Oak St
- Turn right onto S 3rd St
- On your right will be Noonan and Noonan, LLC.
- Head northeast on US-219 N/S 3rd St toward E Center St
- Continue to follow US-219 N
- Turn left onto Visitors Center Drive returning to the Garrett County Visitors Center.
Maryland’s 18 designated byways encompass 2,487 miles of beautiful roads and offer a taste of Maryland’s scenic beauty, history and culture. Take the roads less traveled - including a byway featuring a nationally significant theme: the Historic National Road.
If you’re planning a trip, try Maryland’s interactive tour map. You’ll find great suggestions for scenic or historic driving tours, Maryland Heritage areas, historic districts, parks, and other cultural and recreational destinations. Don’t forget that most scenic byways are also perfect for exploring by bicycle. You’ll find maps and safety information for bicycle-friendly routes here.